As the single largest event of its kind in the eastern United States, and the third largest event of its kind on the entire North American continent, reputations are EARNED at the GymRat CHALLENGE. The GymRat CHALLENGE has become a rite of passage for today and tomorrow’s NCAA and WNBA stars. From WNBA All-Star and scoring champ Epiphany Prince to 2018 WNBA MVP and four-time U.CONN National Champion Breanna Stewart, since 1998, the greatest players on the planet have come to the GymRat CHALLENGE to prove themselves against top competition. With unparalleled coverage from college coaches, scouting services, and basketball publications, more players are recruited out of the GymRat CHALLENGE than any other event in the nation. As one of the most storied and respected grassroots basketball events in the nation, the GymRat CHALLENGE has been selected as USA Basketball Alliance Tournaments and part of the pathway to the U.S. Open Basketball Championships.
USA BASKETBALL is the National Governing Body for Men’s and Women’s Basketball in the United States as recognized and designated by the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA). USA Basketball is responsible for the selection and training of the men’s and women’s national teams that represent the United States in international competitions including the Olympic Games and the FIBA Basketball World Cup. In addition, USA BASKETBALL is responsible for the development of youth basketball initiatives that address player development, coach education and licensing, and safety.
The GymRat CHALLENGE was also selected as an Official Qualifier for the Jr. NBA Global Championships with the 14U Platinum Bracket Champion of the GymRat CHALLENGE advancing with an opportunity to win an all-expense paid trip to compete against the top youth teams from around the world in the Jr. NBA Global Championship at the ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando, FL in August.
The GymRat CHALLENGE is one of only two events in the United States to receive this championship pathway endorsement from both USA Basketball and the NBA… two of the world’s foremost basketball authorities.
The format of the GymRat CHALLENGE is as follows:
- THREE game guarantee with additional games for Championship Round qualifiers
- Potential for MAXIMUM of 6 games over the event weekend
- POOL PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP FORMAT
- POOL PLAY concludes at 11:15 AM on DAY 2
- Pool Champions& potential Wildcard teams advance to the CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND beginning at 1:35 PM on DAY 2
- CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND format includes
- Bracket play based on POOL PLAY performance and resulting CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND seed
- Single elimination with MAXIMUM of three games in CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND play
- Champions awarded in each CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND bracket
- This three-game maximum CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND format reduces fatigue and results in higher quality performance in all brackets of the CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
- This format allows all CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND qualifiers to play a minimum of one and a maximum of three games in this highly competitive round.
- This format preserves the legendary trademark Championship –style of the GymRat CHALLENGE, allows for national recognition for winners in all brackets, and allows for early conclusion times for all teams.
- Certified referees for all games
- GymRat CHALLENGE team of scouts and evaluators on hand throughout the weekend for talent evaluation & selection of All-GymRat CHALLENGE team and MVPs in each age division.
- Athletic Trainers on site
- Discounted HOTEL rates for all participants
GIRLS GymRat CHALLENGE Team Registration Fee
- $495 for teams in the 8th through 11th Grade divisions
- $395 for teams in the 12U & 13U divisions
- Multi-team discounts available. Call 1-888-7-GYMRAT (1-888-749-6728) for details.
In accordance with USA Basketball’s Grade and Age Eligibility Requirements, the following competition divisions will be offered at the GymRat CHALLENGE
- 11th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 11th grade or below (as of October 1, 2020) AND cannot turn 19 prior to September 1, 2021
- 10th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 10th grade or below (as of October 1, 2020) AND cannot turn 18 prior to September 1, 2021
- 9th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 9th grade or below (as of October 1, 2020) AND cannot turn 17 prior to September 1, 2021
- 14U – Athletes cannot turn 15 prior to September 1, 2021 (age division, no grade exceptions)
- 13U – Athletes cannot turn 14 prior to September 1, 2021 (age division, no grade exceptions)
- 12U – Athletes cannot turn 13 prior to September 1, 2021 (age division, no grade exceptions)
PLAYER ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION
It is the responsibility of the head coach to provide age and grade (if applicable) verification for players at any time throughout the tournament. Permitted forms of player age verification include birth certificates, passports and government-issued IDs (originals, hard copies or digital copies). Permitted forms of player grade verification include school-issued report cards or school administrator confirmation of grade issued on school letterhead (originals, hard copies or digital copies).
USA BASKETBALL COACH LICENSE INFORMATION
The USA Basketball Coach License program focuses on educating coaches while ensuring the safety of those with whom the coach may come in contact. The program is designed to develop an inclusive basketball community of credible, qualified and dedicated coaches and administrators who serve the game.
There are two USA Basketball Coach License types: gold and associate. Both licenses require successfully passing a background check and completing online courses. The gold license provides additional benefits and coaching resources, but either license type is permitted for all coaches and bench personnel participating in Alliance Tournaments.
* While either license type is permitted for Official Qualifiers, coaches and event operators participating in NCAA-Certified events are still required to obtain a USA Basketball Gold Coach License, as mandated by the NCAA. More information can be found at https://www.usab.com/youth/development/coach/coach-license.aspx
COACH LICENSE SEASON
All licenses are valid from completion date through August 31 st of the license year.
PROCESS TO OBTAIN A COACH LICENSE
- Step 1: Go to https://community.usab.com/
- Step 2: Select PROCEED under Coach Registration.
- *If you had an account in the previous season, click LOGIN in the top right corner and follow the prompted steps to renew your license.
- Step 3: Enter your account information, select your license type and pay the corresponding fee.
- Step 4: On your dashboard, select the BACKGROUND SCREENING bubble to begin your check through our screening partner Verified Volunteers.
- Step 5: On your dashboard, select the COURSES bubble and complete the required courses in your account.
Once your background check is clear and you have completed your courses, you will become licensed for the season and receive the benefits associated with your license level. Once licensed, set your online coach account profile to “public” view to allow for real-time verification of licensure.