MAY 25-26, 2019
WHO: BOYS teams in the 12U through 11th Grade divisions from across the North American continent. Teams will be accepted on a “first come, first served” basis until maximum capacity is reached.
OPEN TO 12U-11TH GRADE GROUPS
As one of the most storied and respected grassroots basketball events in the nation, the GymRat CHALLENGE has been selected as USA Basketball Alliance Tournaments and part of the pathway to the 2019 U.S. Open Basketball Championships.
USA BASKETBALL is the National Governing Body for Men’s and Women’s Basketball in the United States as recognized and designated by the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA). USA Basketball is responsible for the selection and training of the men’s and women’s national teams that represent the United States in international competitions including the Olympic Games and the FIBA Basketball World Cup. In addition, USA BASKETBALL is responsible for the development of youth basketball initiatives that address player development, coach education and licensing, and safety.
All GymRat CHALLENGE participating teams in the 10th grade, 9th grade, 13U and 12U divisions at this alliance tournament are eligible to register for the USA Basketball 2019 U.S. Open Basketball Championships that will be held July 17-21, 2019 in Westfield, Indiana.
In accordance with USA Basketball’s Grade and Age Eligibility Requirements, the following competition divisions will be offered at the GymRat CHALLENGE
- 11th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 11th grade or below (as of October 1, 2018) AND cannot turn 19 prior to September 1, 2019
- 10th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 10th grade or below (as of October 1, 2018) AND cannot turn 18 prior to September 1, 2019
- 9th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 9th grade or below (as of October 1, 2018) AND cannot turn 17 prior to September 1, 2019
- 14U – Athletes cannot turn 15 prior to September 1, 2019
- 13U – Athletes cannot turn 14 prior to September 1, 2019 (age division, no grade exceptions)
- 12U – Athletes cannot turn 13 prior to September 1, 2019 (age division, no grade exceptions)
PLAYER ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION
It is the responsibility of the head coach to provide age and grade (if applicable) verification for players at any time throughout the tournament. Permitted forms of player age verification include birth certificates, passports and government-issued IDs (originals, hard copies or digital copies). Permitted forms of player grade verification include school-issued report cards or school administrator confirmation of grade issued on school letterhead (originals, hard copies or digital copies).
USA BASKETBALL COACH LICENSE INFORMATION
The USA Basketball Coach License program focuses on educating coaches while ensuring the safety of those with whom the coach may come in contact. The program is designed to develop an inclusive basketball community of credible, qualified and dedicated coaches and administrators who serve the game.
There are two USA Basketball Coach License types: gold and associate. Both licenses require successfully passing a background check and completing online courses. The gold license provides additional benefits and coaching resources, but either license type is permitted for all coaches and bench personnel participating in Alliance Tournaments.
* While either license type is permitted for Official Qualifiers, coaches and event operators participating in NCAA-Certified events are still required to obtain a USA Basketball Gold Coach License, as mandated by the NCAA. More information can be found at https://www.usab.com/youth/development/coach/coach-license.aspx
COACH LICENSE SEASON
All licenses are valid from completion date through August 31st of the license year.
PROCESS TO OBTAIN A COACH LICENSE
- Step 1: Go to https://community.usab.com/
- Step 2: Select PROCEED under Coach Registration.
- *If you had an account in the previous season, click LOGIN in the top right corner and follow the prompted steps to renew your license.
- Step 3: Enter your account information, select your license type and pay the corresponding fee.
- Step 4: On your dashboard, select the BACKGROUND SCREENING bubble to begin your check through our screening partner Verified Volunteers.
- Step 5: On your dashboard, select the COURSES bubble and complete the required courses in your account.
Once your background check is clear and you have completed your courses, you will become licensed for the season and receive the benefits associated with your license level. Once licensed, set your online coach account profile to “public” view to allow for real-time verification of licensure.
WHAT: The 2019 GymRat CHALLENGE. As the single largest event of its kind in the eastern United States, and the third largest event of its kind on the entire North American continent, the GymRat CHALLENGE has become a rite of passage for today and tomorrow’s NCAA and NBA stars. Reputations are EARNED at the GymRat CHALLENGE. From Steph Curry to Mo Bamba, since 1998, the greatest players on the planet have come to the GymRat CHALLENGE to prove themselves against top competition. With unparalleled coverage from college coaches, scouting services, and basketball publications, more players are recruited out of the GymRat CHALLENGE than any other event in the nation.
- THREE game guarantee with additional games for Championship Round qualifiers
- POOL PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP FORMAT
- POOL PLAY concludes at 11:15 AM on Sunday
- Pool Champions & potential Wildcard teams advance to the Championship Round beginning at 1:35 PM on Sunday
- CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND format includes bracket play based on CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND seed
- Single elimination with MAXIMUM of three games in Championship Round play
- Champions awarded in each Championship Round bracket
- This format allows all CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND qualifiers to play a minimum of one and a maximum of three games in this highly competitive round.
- This format reduces fatigue and results in higher quality performance in all brackets of the CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
- This format preserves the legendary trademark Championship-style of the GymRat CHALLENGE, allows for national recognition for winners in all brackets, and allows for earlier conclusion times for all teams.
- Certified referees and for all games
- GymRat CHALLENGE team of scouts and evaluators on hand throughout the weekend for talent evaluation & selection of
- All-GymRat CHALLENGE team and MVPs in each age division are publicized in the GymRat Report that is available to every college program in the nation.
- Athletic Trainers on site
- Participating Hotels
WHERE: The state-of-the-art Albany Capital Center, the beautiful Times-Union Center, RPI’s East Campus Arena, Skidmore College, and Union College’s Vanair Athletic Complex will host the 2019 GymRat CHALLENGE field. Located within minutes of each other, these tremendous facilities are easily accessible from the North, South, East, or West. With over twenty full courts, these complexes are ideal sites for an AAU event from participants’, fans’, and recruiters’ perspectives. For a detailed breakdown of competition venues by Age Division, please visit http://gymratchallenge.com/boys-event/game-sites-directions/
*Facilities subject to change based on NCAA rules & availability
WHEN: May 25-26, 2019
WHY: The GymRat CHALLENGE is a true test of both basketball skill and will where today’s NCAA and NBA, stars have come to earn their reputations over the past two decades. Since 1998, players from current NBA MVP Steph Curry to former NBA Rookie of the Year & NCAA Player of the Year Emeka Okafor to NBA All-Stars and former Chicago Bulls teammates Joakim Noah and Luol Deng to NCAA Players of the Year & National Champions Jimmer Fredette, Kemba Walker, and Shabazz Napier, to 2018 NBA First Round Draft picks Mo Bamba and Kevin Huerter, as well as many, many more have arrived at the GymRat CHALLENGE to compete and be seen, and exited the GymRat CHALLENGE having catapulted themselves to the top of recruiting boards everywhere.
WITH UNPARALELLED COVERAGE FROM COLLEGE COACHES, SCOUTING SERVICES, AND BASKETBALL PUBLICATIONS, MORE PLAYERS ARE RECRUITED OUT OF THE GymRat CHALLENGE THAN ANY OTHER EVENT IN THE NATION. With team and individual NATIONAL NOTORIETY on the line, those that perform well in this high visibility event receive an unparalleled boost in recruiting exposure. Each year several All-GymRat CHALLENGE selections are tabbed by the GymRat CHALLENGE Evaluation Team as rising members of their classes both nationally as well as regionally in their home areas of the country. All of this, combined with a reputation as the best organized event in the nation, makes the GymRat CHALLENGE one of the most complete and competitive stops on the summer basketball schedule.
With a huge field comprised of some of the top club basketball programs in North America, the GymRat CHALLENGE boasts an indisputable prominence and acclaim from teams, coaches, and scouting services across the continent. The GymRat CHALLENGE annually hosts in excess of 550 teams representing over twenty-four U.S. states and Canadian provinces covering a geographic reach from Texas to Toronto, Montreal to Maryland, and beyond. That field and an unwavering commitment to quality made the GymRat CHALLENGE the largest event of its kind in the eastern United States and the third largest event of its kind on the North American continent.
HOW: To Register Click Here
Tournament Executive Director: John Kmack