ALLIANCE TOURNAMENT OFFICIAL DESIGNATION
Both the BOYS and GIRLS GymRat CHALLENGE events are USA Basketball Alliance Tournaments and part of the pathway to the 2019 U.S. Open Basketball Championships. All participating teams in the 10th grade, 9th grade, 13U and 12U divisions at this alliance tournament are eligible to register for the USA Basketball 2019 U.S. Open Basketball Championships that will be held July 17-21, 2019 in Westfield, Indiana.
AGE AND GRADE GROUPINGS
- 11th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 11th grade or below (as of October 1, 2018) AND cannot turn 19 prior to September 1, 2019
- 10th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 10th grade or below (as of October 1, 2018) AND cannot turn 18 prior to September 1, 2019
- 9th Grade – Athletes must be enrolled in the 9th grade or below (as of October 1, 2018) AND cannot turn 17 prior to September 1, 2019
- 14U – Athletes cannot turn 15 prior to September 1, 2019
- 13U – Athletes cannot turn 14 prior to September 1, 2019 (age division, no grade exceptions)
- 12U – Athletes cannot turn 13 prior to September 1, 2019 (age division, no grade exceptions)
PLAYER ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION
It is the responsibility of the head coach to provide age and grade (if applicable) verification for players at any time throughout the tournament. Permitted forms of player age verification include birth certificates, passports and government-issued IDs (originals, hard copies or digital copies). Permitted forms of player grade verification include school-issued report cards or school administrator confirmation of grade issued on school letterhead (originals, hard copies or digital copies).
This tournament will be played by approved National Federation of State High School Associations rules.
COACH LICENSE REQUIREMENT
All coaches and bench personnel participating in any division at the GymRat CHALLENGE must have a valid USA Basketball Coach License on file with USA Basketball prior to the start of the tournament. The coach license process requires successfully passing a background check which generally takes 7-10 business days. To obtain a coach license, visit
USA BASKETBALL COACH LICENSE INFORMATION
The USA Basketball Coach License program focuses on educating coaches while ensuring the safety of those with whom the coach may come in contact. The program is designed to develop an inclusive basketball community of credible, qualified and dedicated coaches and administrators who serve the game.
There are two USA Basketball Coach License types: gold and associate. Both licenses require successfully passing a background check and completing online courses. The gold license provides additional benefits and coaching resources, but either license type is permitted for all coaches and bench personnel participating in Alliance Tournaments.
* While either license type is permitted for Official Qualifiers, coaches and event operators participating in NCAA-Certified events are still required to obtain a USA Basketball Gold Coach License, as mandated by the NCAA. More information can be found at https://www.usab.com/youth/development/coach/coach-license.aspx
COACH LICENSE SEASON
All licenses are valid from completion date through August 31st of the license year.
PROCESS TO OBTAIN A COACH LICENSE
- Step 1: Go to https://community.usab.com/
- Step 2: Select PROCEED under Coach Registration.
- *If you had an account in the previous season, click LOGIN in the top right corner and follow the prompted steps to renew your license.
- Step 3: Enter your account information, select your license type and pay the corresponding fee.
- Step 4: On your dashboard, select the BACKGROUND SCREENING bubble to begin your check through our screening partner Verified Volunteers.
- Step 5: On your dashboard, select the COURSES bubble and complete the required courses in your account.
Once your background check is clear and you have completed your courses, you will become licensed for the season and receive the benefits associated with your license level.Once licensed, set your online coach account profile to “public” view to allow for real-time verification of licensure.
COACH LICENSE WEBSITES
- General information: https://www.usab.com/youth/development/coach/coach-license.aspx
- Coach license account: https://community.usab.com/
- USA Basketball Support and Help Center: https://usabyouth.zendesk.com