THE STATED MISSION OF THE GYMRAT CHALLENGE IS TO ALLOW YOUNG BASKETBALL ATHLETES THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL AND TO SHOWCASE THEIR SKILLS IN PURSUIT OF THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY COLLEGIATELY AND BEYOND. THE OVERWHELMING SUCCESS RATE OF THE GYMRAT CHALLENGE IN THIS MISSION IS WELL-DOCUMENTED.
ANYONE CAUSING A DISRUPTION TO THE KIDS’ OPPORTUNITY TO SHOWCASE THEIR SKILLS AND/OR BEHAVING IN A MANNER THAT IS INAPPROPRIATE WILL BE REMOVED FOR ALL EVENT VENUES.
ANY PLAYER, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER EXHIBITING BEHAVIOR THAT IS DEEMED TO BE DISRUPTIVE TO THE EVENT AND/OR THE COMPETITION WILL BE IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FOR THE EVENT AND BANNED FROM ALL COMPETITION VENUES. AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF EVENT ORGANIZERS, DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR FROM ANY PLAYER, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION OF THE TEAM OR TEAMS ASSOCIATED WITH SAID PLAYER, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH TEAM TO ENSURE THAT THOSE IN THEIR TRAVEL PARTY ARE AWARE OF THE STANDARDS, RULES, AND CODE OF CONDUCT AT THE GymRat CHALLENGE. NO REFUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED TO ANY PLAYER, TEAM, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER THAT IS EJECTED FROM THE EVENT.
TEAMS ARE EXPECTED T0 ARRIVE ON SITE A MINIMUM OF THIRTY (30) MINUTES BEFORE THEIR SCHEDULED GAME TIMES
The GymRat CHALLENGE will be played by National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) rules except where noted and superseded below. For a full list NFHS rules please visit http://www.nfhs.org/
- The first team listed on the schedule (left hand column) will be designated as the HOME team and is expected to wear a white or light colored uniform.
- All Pool Play games will be played with 16 minute stop time halves.
- ALL CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND GAMES WILL BE PLAYED WITH 14 MINUTE STOP TIME HALVES.
- There will be no Shot Clock
- The TEN SECOND BACKCOURT RULE will be adopted from the boy’s NYSPHSAA rules and will be in effect for this event.
- The CLOSELY GUARDED-FIVE SECOND RULE will be adopted from the boy’s NYSPHSAA rules and will be in effect for this event.
- Four (4) minute warm-up will be provided prior to each game. Halftime will be two (2) minutes in length.
- Each team will be awarded two (2) full timeouts per game and one (1) 20 second timeout per half.
- The one and one bonus will be awarded on the 10th team foul of each half.
- A player will be disqualified from a game after he receives his 6th personal foul.
- ALL overtime periods will be two (2) minutes in length. Each team will receive ONE additional full timeout per overtime period.
- ALL overtimes will start with a jump ball.
- Each team is responsible for their own warm-up basketballs. The ROCK will be used as the official game ball of the GymRat CHALLENGE.
- If a situation occurs in which one team builds a lead of twenty-five (25) points or more, the game will be converted to running time (clock stops only for team and offical timeouts) until the lead is cut to twenty (20) points or less, or the game ends.
- Players are PROHIBITED from wearing jewelry during game competition. All jewelry MUST BE REMOVED prior to game competition. Taping over jewelry will NOT be allowed.
- On-site Athletic Trainers are NOT responsible for pre-game preventative care (i.e. ankle taping) or treatment of pre-tournament/pre-existing injuries or conditions. Teams are responsible for supplying their own athletic tape and supplies.
- Any team wishing to file a protest, must provide a signed protest in writing to an Age Division Director. A PROTEST FEE of $100 must also be provided at the time that the protest is submitted. If the protest is upheld, the fee will be returned to the protestor. If the protest is not upheld, the fee will NOT be returned. Any protest involving age/grade eligibility must identify the name of the player in question as well as the “reasonable cause” for the protest (i.e., a protest may not be submitted based on a player’s size).
- THE GymRat CHALLENGE HAS A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY IN REFERENCE TO FIGHTING AND ACTS OF VIOLENCE. ANY PLAYER OR TEAM PERSONNEL COMMITTING AN ACT OF VIOLENCE OR RECEIVING A TECHNICAL FOUL FOR FIGHTING WILL BE EJECTED FROM THE GAME AND DISQUALIFIED FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE TOURNAMENT. EJECTED PLAYERS/TEAM PERSONNEL WILL BE REQUIRED TO IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE TOURNAMENT VENUE AND, IF CIRCUMSTANCES WARRANT, WILL BE REMANDED TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES. ANY PLAYER/TEAM PERSONNEL EJECTED UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM ALL TOURNAMENT VENUES AND FROM PARTICIPATION IN ANY FUTURE GymRat CHALLENGE EVENTS. FURTHER, AT THE DISCRETION OF THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS, A SINGLE ACT OF VIOLENCE COMMITTED BY AN INDIVIDUAL PLAYER OR TEAM PERSONNEL MEMBER MAY RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION AND DISMISSAL OF THE ENTIRE TEAM FROM ANY FURTHER COMPETITION IN THE CURRENT GymRat CHALLENGE AND/OR ANY FUTURE GymRat CHALLENGE EVENTS.
- ANY PLAYER OR COACH RECEIVING TWO TECHNICAL FOULS IN ONE GAME WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY EJECTED FROM THAT GAME. ANY PLAYER OR COACH EJECTED FROM A GAME FOR ANY REASON, WILL ALSO BE SUSPENDED FROM PARTICIPATION IN HIS TEAM’S NEXT GAME. SUSPENDED COACHES WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE TEAM BENCH AREA.
- AT TOURNAMENT STAFF/DIRECTOR’S DISCRETION, ANY PLAYER, COACH, TEAM SUPPORT PERSONNEL, TOURNAMENT PARTICIPANT, OR FAN EXHIBITING CONDUCT UNBECOMING TO THE EVENT, MAY BE SUBJECT TO DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE TOURNAMENT AND/OR EJECTION FROM THE TOURNAMENT VENUES AT ANY TIME.
- POOL PLAY ends with the 11:15 AM tip off on Sunday morning. For POOL CHAMPIONS and qualifying WILDCARD teams, the bracketed CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND begins on Sunday at 1:35 PM. Teams qualifying for the CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND will play a MINIMUM of one game and a MAXIMUM of three additional games in pursuit of a GymRat CHALLENGE Championship, CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND play is HIGHLY competitive and intense. In order to claim a GymRat CHALLENGE Championship, teams must demonstrate a high level of both skill and will.
- ALL TEAMS ARE REQUIRED TO MEET THEIR THREE GAME GUARANTEE AND COMPETE IN ALL SCHEDULED GAMES. ANY TEAM FORFEITING FOR FAILING TO APPEAR IN ANY GAME WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY CHARGED FOR AN ADDITIONAL REGISTRATION FEE AND SUBJECT TO A BAN FROM COMPETING IN ANY FUTURE GymRat CHALLENGE EVENTS.
TEAMS ARE EXPECTED T0 ARRIVE ON SITE A MINIMUM OF THIRTY (30) MINUTES BEFORE THEIR SCHEDULED GAME TIMES.
Championship Round Bracket Announcement meetings will be held in each age division to announce seedings, games times, and game sites for Championship Round play. The criteria for gaining entry into the Championship Round and the seeding process will be outlined and prominently displayed at all tournament venues, and will be provided to all coaches at check-in as a part of the Game Schedule/Welcome packet. Times and locations of Championship Round Bracket Announcement meetings will also be provided to all coaches at check-in as a part of the Game Schedule/Welcome packet.