TEAMS ARE EXPECTED T0 ARRIVE ON SITE A MINIMUM OF THIRTY (30) MINUTES BEFORE THEIR SCHEDULED GAME TIMES
PLEASE BE AWARE AND RESPONIBLE FOR ALL GAMES RULES AND RULES OF CONDUCT. GymRat CHALLENGE RULES AND POLICIES WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
THE STATED MISSION OF THE GYMRAT CHALLENGE IS TO ALLOW YOUNG BASKETBALL ATHLETES THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL AND TO SHOWCASE THEIR SKILLS IN PURSUIT OF THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY COLLEGIATELY AND BEYOND. THE OVERWHELMING SUCCESS RATE OF THE GYMRAT CHALLENGE IN THIS MISSION IS WELL-DOCUMENTED .
ANYONE CAUSING A DISRUPTION TO THE ATHLETES’ OPPORTUNITIES TO SHOWCASE THEIR SKILLS AND/OR BEHAVING IN A MANNER THAT IS INAPPROPRIATE WILL BE REMOVED FOR ALL EVENT VENUES.
ANY PLAYER, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER EXHIBITING BEHAVIOR THAT IS DEEMED TO BE DISRUPTIVE TO THE EVENT AND/OR THE COMPETITION WILL BE IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FOR THE EVENT AND BANNED FROM ALL COMPETITION VENUES. THIS ABSOLUTLEY INCLUDES ANY SPECTATOR WHO ENTERS THE PLAYING SURFACE AT ANY POINT OTHER THAN BEING WAIVED ON TO THE COURT BY MEDICAL PERSONNEL TO ADDRESS AN INJURED PLAYER.
AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF EVENT ORGANIZERS, DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR FROM ANY PLAYER, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION OF THE TEAM OR TEAMS ASSOCIATED WITH SAID PLAYER, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH TEAM TO ENSURE THAT THOSE IN THEIR TRAVEL PARTY ARE AWARE OF THE STANDARDS, RULES, AND CODE OF CONDUCT AT THE GymRat CHALLENGE. NO REFUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED TO ANY PLAYER, TEAM, FAN, SPECTATOR, PARENT, AND/OR FAMILY MEMBER THAT IS EJECTED FROM THE EVENT.
THE GymRat CHALLENGE IS A USA BASKETBALL ALLIANCE TOURNAMENT, A JR. NBA GLOBAL CHAMPIONSHIPS OFFICIAL QUALIFIER, AND AN AAU SANCTIONED EVENT. AS SUCH, THE GymRat CHALLENGE FOLLOWS THE PRESCRIBED CODE OF CONDUCT AND DRESS CODE GUIDELINES FOR THOSE ORGANIZATIONS. ACCORDINGLY, ALL COACHES ARE EXPECTED TO CONDUCT THEMSELVES PROFESSIONALLY AND RESPONSIBLY. COACHES WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO WEAR SLIPPERS OR SANDALS ON THE SIDELINE DURING THE COURSE OF THE GAME. COACHES MUST WEAR A COLLARED SHIRT OR TEAM LOGOED APPAREL ON THE SIDELINE DURING THE COURSE OF THE GAME. COACHES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO WEAR BASEBALL HATS, DOO RAGS (WAVE CAPS) OR BEANIES WHILE COACHING DURING THE EVENT.
THE GymRat CHALLENGE HAS A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY IN REFERENCE TO FIGHTING AND ACTS OF VIOLENCE. ANY PLAYER OR TEAM PERSONNEL COMMITTING AN ACT OF VIOLENCE OR RECEIVING A TECHNICAL FOUL FOR FIGHTING WILL BE EJECTED FROM THE GAME, REQUIRED TO SIT OUT THEIR TEAM’S NEXT GAME, AND MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE TOURNAMENT AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE EVENT ORGANIZERS. EJECTED PLAYERS/TEAM PERSONNEL WILL BE REQUIRED TO IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE TOURNAMENT VENUE AND, IF CIRCUMSTANCES WARRANT, WILL BE REMANDED TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES. ANY PLAYER/TEAM PERSONNEL EJECTED UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM ALL TOURNAMENT VENUES AND FROM PARTICIPATION IN ANY FUTURE GymRat CHALLENGE EVENTS. FURTHER, AT THE DISCRETION OF THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS, A SINGLE ACT OF VIOLENCE COMMITTED BY AN INDIVIDUAL PLAYER OR TEAM PERSONNEL MEMBER MAY RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION AND DISMISSAL OF THE ENTIRE TEAM FROM ANY FURTHER COMPETITION IN THE CURRENT GymRat CHALLENGE AND/OR ANY FUTURE GymRat CHALLENGE EVENTS
1. The GymRat CHALLENGE will be played by National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) rules except where noted and superseded below. For a full list NFHS rules please visit http://www.nfhs.org/activities-sports/basketball/
2. All teams are expected to arrive on site a minimum of 30 minutes ahead of their scheduled game times. If opportunity permits, games may be started up to 10 minutes ahead of schedule.
3. Team check-in will take place at the site of each team’s first game. All players and coaches must be issued event credentials before beginning their first game.
4. The first team listed on the schedule (left hand column) will be designated as the HOME team and is expected to wear a white or light colored uniform.
5. All Pool Play games will be played with 16 minute stop time halves.
6. All Championship Round games will be played with 14 minute stop time halves.
7. There will be no Shot Clock
8. Four (4) minute warm-up will be provided prior to each game. Halftime will be two (2) minutes in length.
9. Each team will be awarded two (2) full timeouts per game and one (1) 20 second timeout per half.
10. The one and one bonus will be awarded on the 10th team foul of each half.
11. A player will be disqualified from a game after he receives his 6th personal foul.
12. ALL overtime periods will be two (2) minutes in length.
13. ALL overtimes will start with a jump ball.
14. Each team will be granted ONE (1) additional full time out per overtime period.
15. EACH TEAM MUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN SCOREKEEPER IN ORDER TO KEEP THE BOOK. The scoreclock will be operated by GymRat CHALLENGE personnel. The first team listed on the schedule will act as the home team.
16. The home team will wear white or light colored uniforms, and their scorebook will be the ‘official book’ for the game.
17. Each team is responsible for their own warm-up basketballs. The ROCK will be used as the official game ball of the GymRat CHALLENGE.
18. If a situation occurs in which one team builds a lead of thirty (30) points or more, the game will be converted to running time (clock stops only for team and official timeouts) until the lead is cut to twenty (20) points or less, or the game ends.
19. Players are PROHIBITED from wearing jewelry during game competition. All jewelry MUST BE REMOVED prior to game competition. Taping over jewelry will NOT be allowed.
20. On-site Athletic Trainers are NOT responsible for pre-game preventative care (i.e. ankle taping) or treatment of pre-tournament/pre-existing injuries or conditions. Teams are responsible for supplying their own athletic tape and supplies.
21. All teams are required to meet their three game guarantee and compete in all scheduled games. Any team forfeiting for failing to appear in any game will be automatically charged for an additional full registration fee per forfeit and subject to a ban from competing in any future gymrat challenge events.
22. Any team wishing to file a protest, must provide a signed protest in writing to an Age Division Director. A PROTEST FEE of $100 must also be provided at the time that the protest is submitted. If the protest is upheld, the fee will be returned to the protestor. If the protest is not upheld, the fee will NOT be returned. Any protest involving age/grade eligibility must identify the name of the player in question as well as the “reasonable cause” for the protest (i.e., a protest may not be submitted based on a player’s size). Protests are not impactful or actionable until they are submitted in writing per the policy detailed above. If a protest is upheld, the penalty is enforced from the point of the protest forward. Protests are NOT enforced retroactively.
23. Championship Round play is highly competitive and intense. Because of the intensely high level of competition, multiple overtime games have become the norm. In order to claim a gymrat challenge championship, teams must demonstrate not only a high level of skill, but also tremendous endurance. Every effort will be made to keep games on schedule, but because of the intense level of competition and strong likelihood for overtime games, teams advancing to the championship round should build flexibility into their travel plans.
24. Please be sure to have age eligibility documentation (birth certificates, AAU cards, prep school admission letters, etc.) for all players at the event in case of a protest or age eligibility verification situation. Please be reminded that, as a USA Basketball Alliance Tournament, the GymRat CHALLENGE strictly adheres to USA Basketball’s grade and age eligibility requirements. Those requirements can be found in the “who, what, where,…” section of gymratchallenge.com. Please note that any player competing in the 11th Grade Age Division must have remaining high school eligibility. Players attending prep school in the fall for a post-graduate year must have documented evidence of their prep school admission. That evidence must be provided in the form of a letter from the prep school verifying the player’s acceptance for the fall term. Players not meeting the grade and age eligibility requirements will be immediately disqualified from the event. At the discretion of the event directors, teams using ineligible players may be disqualified from the event, future GymRat CHALLENGE events, and/or future USA Basketball, Jr. NBA, and/or AAU sanctioned events. It is the responsibility of each team to know and understand these requirements and to ensure that all players are within the eligibility guidelines.