The GymRat CHALLENGE has been approved to serve as an Official Qualifier to the USA Basketball 2018 U.S. Open Basketball Championships. USA Basketball, the National Governing Body of the sport under the United States Olympic Committee, is committed to creating an inclusive tournament structure to best serve youth basketball throughout the United States. In 2018, USA Basketball will host the U.S. Open Basketball Championships in Westfield, Indiana for 8th grade, 13U and 12U divisions of play for both boys and girls. The boys championship tournaments will occur on June 30–July 3 while the girls championship tournaments will occur on July 19-22. In order to qualify for the culminating event, teams must participate in USA Basketball approved U.S. Open Official Qualifiers throughout the country. First and second place finishers in each qualifying division will earn an automatic bid to the championships.
The following groupings of play at the GymRat CHALLENGE serve as an Official Qualifier to the USA Basketball 2018 U.S. Open Basketball Championships: 8th grade boys/girls, 13U boys/girls and 12U boys/girls. Teams will select to enter the Stars or Stripes division within each grouping of play. The Stars division best suits established and competitive club travel teams while the Stripes division is offered for locally-based, or newly formed, club and recreational teams. The first and second place teams from each group and division will earn a bid to enter the 2018 U.S. Open Basketball Championships for boys on June 30-July 3 and for girls on July 19-22 in Westfield, Indiana. Third and fourth place teams will receive wait list bids should first and second place teams not accept their bids.
AGE AND GRADE GROUPINGS
- 8th Grade: Enrolled in 8th grade or lower as of October 1, 2017 AND cannot turn 16 prior to September 1, 2018.
- 13U: Cannot turn 14 prior to September 1, 2018 (this is an age division, grade exceptions are not permitted).
- 12U: Cannot turn 13 prior to September 1, 2018 (this is an age division, grade exceptions are not permitted).
DIVISIONS OF COMPETITION
- STARS: Established and competitive club travel teams
- STRIPES: Locally-based, or newly formed, club and recreational teams
It is the responsibility of the head coach to provide age and grade (if applicable) verification for players at any time throughout the event. Permitted forms of player age verification include birth certificates, passports and government-issued IDs (originals, hard copies or digital copies).Permitted forms of player grade verification include school-issued report cards or school administrator confirmation of grade issued on school letterhead (originals, hard copies or digital copies).
COACH LICENSE REQUIREMENT
All coaches and bench personnel participating in the 8th grade, 13U or 12U divisions must have a valid USA Basketball Coach License on file with USA Basketball prior to the start of the event. The coach license process requires successfully passing a background check which generally takes 7-10 business days to process. To obtain a coach license, visit https://community.usab.com/
It is the responsibility of the head coach to provide verification of coach licensure at any time throughout the event. Once licensed, set your online coach account profile to “public” view for real-time verification of licensure onsite. Only actively licensed coaches are permitted on the bench to coach.
USA BASKETBALL COACH LICENSE INFORMATION
The USA Basketball Coach License program focuses on educating coaches while ensuring the safety of those with whom the coach may come in contact. The program is designed to develop an inclusive basketball community of credible, qualified and dedicated coaches and administrators who serve the game.
There are two USA Basketball Coach License types: gold and associate. Both licenses require successfully passing a background check and completing online courses. The gold license provides additional benefits and coaching resources, but either license type is permitted for all coaches and bench personnel participating in Official Qualifiers.
* While either license type is permitted for Official Qualifiers, coaches and event operators participating in NCAA-Certified events are still required to obtain a USA Basketball Gold Coach License, as mandated by the NCAA. More information can be found at https://www.usab.com/youth/development/coach/coach-license.aspx
COACH LICENSE ANNUAL FEE
- Associate license: $38 (only available for domestic coaches)
- Gold license:
- $55.00 (domestic coaches), $77.00 (international coaches) – Through December 31, 2017
- $65.00 (domestic coaches), $87.00 (international coaches) – From January 1, 2018-March 31, 2018 and from May 1, 2018-June 30, 2018
- $120.00 (domestic coaches), $144.00 (international coaches) – From April 1-April 30, 2018 and from July 1-July 31, 2018 (high volume months)
- *Domestic coaches are those who possess a valid U.S. Social Security Number.
2017-18 COACH LICENSE SEASON
All licenses are valid from completion date through August 31, 2018
PROCESS TO OBTAIN A COACH LICENSE
- Step 1: Go to https://community.usab.com/
- Step 2: Select PROCEED under Coach Registration.
- *If you had an account in the 2016-17 season, click LOGIN in the top right corner and follow the prompted steps to renew your license.
- Step 3: Enter your account information, select your license type and pay the corresponding fee.
- Step 4: On your dashboard, select the BACKGROUND SCREENING bubble to begin your check through our screening partner Verified Volunteers.
- Step 5: On your dashboard, select the COURSES bubble and complete the required courses in your account.
Once your background check is clear and you have completed your courses, you will become licensed for the season and receive the benefits associated with your license level.
Once licensed, set your online coach account profile to “public” view to allow for real-time verification of licensure.
COACH LICENSE WEBSITES
- General information: https://www.usab.com/youth/development/coach/coach-license.aspx
- Coach license account: https://community.usab.com/
- USA Basketball Support and Help Center: https://usabyouth.zendesk.com